Must be an outdoor film. Films can be from anywhere in the world.
See length-requirements under categories below.
Please use FilmFreeway to submit a 4K or HD (720p minimum) .mov or .mp4 file delivered via vimeo or dropbox or google drive.
You must have legal rights and/or permission to use all music. No exceptions.
Please read and understand all terms and conditions at the bottom of this page before submitting.
Feature (50 minutes or more)
Short Feature (16:00 to 49:59)
Short (0:00 to 15:59)
Best Maine Film
Best Maine Student Film
Best Short Feature
Every award comes with a fancy certificate and a prize from one of our sponsors.
During the 2023 Maine Outdoor Film Festival in Portland, July 21 to July 30, 2023.
It will also potentially be shown during the MOFF Selects Tour which travels the state of Maine with specially curated 90-minute screenings in late summer/early fall, with a schedule of 10 to 12 screenings.
Depends on the category and when you submit.
Early Bird – February 1, 2023 – Fee 55.00
Regular – April 1, 2023 – Fee 65.00
Late – April 21, 2023 – Fee 75.00
Early Bird – February 1, 2023 – Fee 40.00
Regular – April 1, 2023 – Fee 50.00
Late – April 21, 2023- Fee 60.00
Early Bird – February 1, 2023 – Fee 25.00
Regular – April 1, 2023 – Fee 30.00
Late – April 21, 2023- Fee 35.00
Term and Conditions: Important, please read closely.
No Umbrella Media LLC (a Portland, Maine video agency) owns Maine Outdoor Film Festival LLC, so the agreement is between you (the filmmaker) and No Umbrella Media LLC. By entering a submission to the Maine Outdoor Film Festival, you agree to all of the terms and conditions stated below and herein.
1. If your film is accepted to the 2023 Maine Outdoor Film Festival, you agree to give No Umbrella Media/MOFF a nonexclusive license to use, publicly perform, publicly display, copy, distribute, and create derivative works of your submission in connection with the “Maine Outdoor Film Festival”. Here is where your film will/could be shown:
1 to 3 times in-person at the Portland Festival 2023 (July 21 to July 30, 2023)
0 to 5 times in-person on the MOFF Selects Tour 2023 (August 15 to December 12, 2023)
0 to 1 times in-person at the Maine Audubon Earth Day Screening (April 2024)
0 to 1 times as part of the Maine Public Television MOFF 60-minute special (June 2024)
2. If preference or previous agreements exist and you wish to opt-out or discuss the arrangement of any of these screenings, please do so in writing/email prior to submitting your film.
3. You agree that no screening fees will be paid to the filmmaker. MOFF does reserve the right to pay filmmakers a stipend. We agree that No Umbrella will give all credits that we practicably can, given case-by-case circumstances.
4. You warrant that all copyrighted material–music, pictures, web content, videos, art, graphic design, etc. (this is not an exhaustive list, rather it is exemplary)—is either owned by you, or that you have express written permission to use any copyrighted material found in your submission. No exceptions.
5. You agree, that in the event that the previous bullet point turns out to be not true (you have infringed someone else’s copyrights), to indemnify and hold harmless No Umbrella Media/MOFF for any claims or threat of claim against the same, and that you will pay for (first), or reimburse (last resort), all costs associated with defending any such claims against No Umbrella Media/MOFF for violation of another’s copyright as a result of your submission.
6. You warrant that you have full consent and permission from all people who appear in any identifiable manner in your submission to use their persona in your submission, their knowing and understanding that their image or likeness may be used commercially.
7. You agree to hereby release, indemnify, and hold harmless No Umbrella Media/MOFF from any and all claims, including, without limitation, claims for damages for libel, infringement of rights of publicity, invasion of privacy, portrayal in a false light, or any other claim from any person based on use of your submission.
Contact The Festival:
Moff @ maineoutdoorfilmfestival [dot] com